Measles exposure warning at 5 US airport-Health OfficialsSiva Ranjani (Author) Published Date : Dec 25, 2019 21:28 IST
"Prevention is better than cure" and suits most disease cases. Vaccination is the best prevention to illness and ignorance leads to critical paths.
Holiday season begins in the US and the airports seem busier than usual. Although on the other hand, nearly three major airports flag an opening warning to travelers for the possible exposure to measles.
The situation attains this stage due to the five airports negligible act of allowing confirmed cases of measles to pass through the terminals. Health officials claim an unknown number of travelers exposure to measles in the airport and create awareness via media/Health caution to vaccine immediately.
To be precise, travelers of these following airports in the US are warned to measles exposure.
- Chicago Health Department stated that an individual on December 12 and 17 passed through O’Hare International Airport’s terminal 3 and 1 with a confirmed case of measles infection on him.
- Statistics reports that nearly 1276 people recorded measles infection setting 2019 to be as highest in rates of the disease from 2010.
- On December 17, measles acquired person visited Richmond International Airport in Virginia
- On the same above date, a person diagnosed with measles visited the United Airlines gate area at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.
- Three unvaccinated children travelled to a country with an ongoing measles outbreak and when they return test resulted positive for measles on the Denver International Airport on December 11.
Measles is a highly contagious disease and occurs with symptoms of fever, running nose, red spots and cough. Dr Mark Escott, interim health authority and medical director for Austin Public Health states that "A small number of cases has the capability of quick epidemics."
He also added an advice notice clearing to the general public as "Protect yourself & your family against measles and any other vaccine-preventable diseases is only by immunization".
Measles was declared eliminated in the United States in the past two decades but with the decrease in Vaccination rate possibility to the disease increases gradually year by year.
People who shot measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccination twice are safe from the threat of the disease, says US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.